Thursday, April 9, 2009

Response: Industry advice

Everyone came back with some juicy details Tuesday after their designer interviews. I loved the tidbit about handwriting a card to a potential employer, such a simple touch that can really go a long way.

One thing that stuck out at me was the repetition of having a diverse portfolio. It's always a benefit to be able to show that you have multiple skills, but with every job market so tight it's especially important now. I remember in our original critiques of portfolios, some people had t-shirts, cd jackets, paintings, etc.. That's the kind of stuff that will really put us over the top. I've been doing some freelance work, emphasis on the free, to try and beef up my portfolio. Right now, a wine label. We'll see what comes of it, and I'll post it for critique later.

I think it's fun to change it up anyway, keeps it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment