Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Response: The future of print magazines

After doing my interview this week, and hearing some of the others, it seems like the industry is somewhat optimistic about the future of print magazines. I've always thought there is a benefit to the print product that the web will never be able to replace.

For me, the tactile sense of being able to hold a magazine, throw it in my purse, pull it out at the doctors office, etc.. is something that the web can't replace. Yes, the web is portable, but it doesn't deliver content in the same manner. A magazine reads like a book and guides you through different topics in a specially designed order and format, encouraging the reader to spend more time with it. On a web site, it's too easy to read just the story you were interested in and then jump to another site completely. Plus, it's nice to have an activity that doesn't involve hours at the computer. And I think(hope) many people would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment