Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Response: Helvetica, a little like tofu.


History is important. Really important. To know where we've come from is a lesson I've been absorbing over the last couple weeks. The book we've been reading, Graphic Style, explains a great deal about the cultural influences that affect design and style. It's interesting to read about the cyclical nature of design and understand why it is the way it is. One thing I found particularly interesting was the simplicity that followed chaos. Again, the cyclical nature.

Helvetica is a great history lesson too. It is an example an idea born from the corporate culture of the 50s. Helvetica's longevity is due partly to its lack of a personality. One of the typographers interviewed stated that a novelty font says one emotion or idea really well, but only one. Whereas Helvetica takes on the emotion and feel of what it is being used for. American Airlines and American Apparel are two very different companies, but Helvetica works for both. 

So, yea, it's sort of like tofu, right? Has no taste on its own, but picks up the flavor of the dish.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I agree that Helvetica has multiple personalities. Still, though, it can be so overused and defaulted to, it almost loses that...specialness of being the chameleon of the type community. I think designers now need to re-evaluate our use of type and actually think about what is necessary for the design. I am a huge fine of the Hoefler Frere-Jones type collections. They're doing interesting and refreshing things with font families like Gotham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helvetica as tofu...as both a vegetarian and fellow typographer I LOVE that analogy! I agree, however, with what Sarah says about it being overused. A lot of people use it as a crutch for modernity and "edginess." I like to think I'm past that point, but I still can't stop using Helvetica Neue Light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the reason I am most drawn to Helvetica (and tofu for that matter) is entirely because of its chameleon-like nature. I like the idea of starting with something simple and then building upon it. That's the way my clothing style is too. I like finding ways to reinvent those old favorites to make them look new.

    And Chelsea, you're not alone. I can't stay away from Helvetica Neue Light either :)

    ReplyDelete