Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Response: Bringhurst

I started with the Elements of Typography a month or so ago and the first thing I remember was that it felt like reading the dictionary. It was fascinating but ever so hard to get through.

Once I'd read a chapter or two, I'd take a break and think about how little of the information I actually retained. Definitely frustrating. I want a smarter brain, but that's beside the point. I liked our class discussion because it put all that information into perspective and I realized I wasn't the only who thought it was a slow read.

Typography is so fascinating. I'm always trying to understand it more and more. I think the toughest part is that it's just as much of a science as it is art. (Though so is design in general.)

So in the spirit of great type, check out one of my new favorites. Called antenna. Here's the description:

While definitely American, Antenna projects something of the subtleties that we have come to expect from Swiss classics. By concentrating on design of enclosing white shapes over linear black letters, the Swiss school of design has altered our business typography forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment